In 2017, Sedona Recycles recycled 1,283 tons of cardboard, saving:
8,880,400 gallons of water
593,708 gallons of oil
Where it goes: Sonoco – City of Industry, CA and Bio Pappel – Prewitt, New Mexico
What it becomes: Cardboard cores, boxes, paperboard
Cardboard Recycling Facts
- Recycling one ton of corrugated cardboard saves 17 trees, 7,000 gallons of water, 11 barrels (462 gallons) of oil, and nine cubic yards of landfill space.
- Recycling one ton of cardboard cuts related pollution 95%.
- Corrugated cardboard can be recycled an average of seven times before the fibers become too short and they are filtered out as sludge during the pulping process.
- Cardboard is used to ship 90% of all products in the U.S.
- Production of recycled cardboard uses 25% less energy than is needed to make new cardboard.
- In 2006, 76.4% of cardboard was recycled in the U.S.